2/28/11

Games would like their own classy awards ceremony, please.

If you're like me, you've probably never seen a Superbowl game in its entirety, but the Oscars--now that's a live event that's worth spending a night in front of the TV for. Well, if that's the case and you are like me, then I can assume that you watched the 83rd annual Academy Awards ceremony last night. It was nothing out of the ordinary...actors, producers, writers, directors and so on all dressed up with their family members, big-name presenters, entertaining hosts, heartfelt speeches--the usual. Now, I'm not suggesting that the Oscars is a perfect example of what I believe an awards ceremony should be, but I would love to see something similar become a standard part of video game culture.

Sure, video games already have things like the Spike TV Video Game Awards and countless Game of the Year titles are declared every year, but I would like to see something a little more official and organized. Spike's VGAs are all fine and dandy, but for starters, rather than being chosen by people with experience in the industry, the winning games are voted on by the public. I have no problem with things like The People's Choice Awards, but it would be nice to see video games recognized in something other than a popularity contest. Aside from that, Spike is a network specifically geared towards men. I understand that gaming is still dominated by guys, but an awards ceremony hosted by an institution that is specifically trying to appeal to one gender seems a bit unproffesional. And last but not least, the Spike VGAs feature guests like...the cast of Jersey Shore. Snooki? Really?

I'm not sure if I would like to see a new organization rise to the occasion, or one that already exists take it to the next level, but I do know one thing: gamers deserve better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment